Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Just another day at the office

What does your writing space look like?





If it's anything like mine:





Then it's probably messy!





I do have a desk in my bedroom, it's a corner desk and my regular computer is there. But for actually getting writing done during the day, I need to be out among the masses. (The desk in the room leaves little room for kids)

So I sit here, in the living room with a TV tray in front of me. I sit on the piano bench. The kids play around the rest of the room. My five year old isn't always up for playing with the baby, but the mornings are usually spent together. (The TV isn't always ON, I should mention.)


Notice that the baby has copious amounts of padding around her. She's in this kind of spastic, body-flinging phase.

In fact, I have a confession to make. Yesterday she launched herself off of the bed. Yes. Off the bed. I managed to go five and a half years without dropping a kid and I've let this one fall twice. Gah.

I saw her do it and I just wasn't fast enough. She was sitting in the middle of the bed, kind of cross legged. She leaned forward and I thought, "oh, she's going to try crawling". At that moment she kicked her feet and FLEW off the bed. She landed on her cheek, which I thought was going to bruise, but hasn't. Yet.

This is another reason why I won't be writing in my bedroom any more, unless she's asleep, I can't turn my back on her while she's sitting on the bed.

I remember when I could just lay her down and she'd fall asleep on the bed behind me, but we've entered a new era now. The Mobile Era.

You will also notice TWO bouncy chair-type thingies. The Jumparoo in the top pic and the exersaucer in the second. We perfer to call them the "Circle of Neglect". I still baby wear, I still have my sling, but it doesn't work as well now, she's a little bored playing with my lips, nose, eyes and hair... and to be honest, it hurts like heck when she does. So she gets to play with things now... on her own.

I don't actually neglect her, when she cries or fusses, I pick her up, foresaking the writing. I find that if I do that (let her play independently until she wants me) then she goes for longer periods of time playing on her own. It's amazing that she can be entertained by a stuffed animal or single toy for twenty minutes.


So there you go. I feel like the internets have seen my underwear or something... anyone else want to share?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the projectile baby phase...I remember it well :)

Tiffany Todd said...

Ahhhhhh, poor munchkin. All mine took numerous tumbles.

Homemom3 said...

Oh I'd forgotten about that phase, mine just turned 3 weeks today. Eeek. Well I must say your space is cleaner than mine. But I did manage to clean some of my computer desk up today. :)

Nikki said...

the case of the amazing, suddenly flying baby never ceases to amaze me. All mine hate me now that they have learned they have experienced various forms of flight. (except for the baby, I am going to bribe the others from telling him when he's older).

Anonymous said...

Your office looks extremely familiar to me. My laptop is on a chair (the TV tray was too high). The TV is on (Sesame Street, Teletubbies, Caillou, Little Einsteins...) There are toys everywhere, and I'm juggling writing with nursing and telling my toddler "No, don't type on the computer now."

Very familiar scene. And I had a strangely similar baby falling off the bed experience when my daughter was about that age. She busted her lip. I was right there! But too slow.

I'll dig out my camera and take a picture of my 'office' soon. If I don't forget!

Theda K.
Blog: www.thecrayonwriter.com
Website: www.thedakcommunications.com