Monday, January 15, 2007

I write because...

Do you ever ask yourself this question? Or have you ever had someone say "Why do you write?" There are many answers available and as many reasons as their are writers in this world.

I recently read an account of Bodie and Brock Thoene who have produced a bundle of books by teaming up to write and reseach.

"No little elves come out of my closet to write 650 manuscript pages," Bodie
says. "Some mornings I don't feel like writing, but I do it out of obedience to
God."
Many people write for money, they write for fame, they write to please themselves and these are all very valid reasons - reasons I call my own as well.

I had not considered, until recently, that my calling may be to write. Would God have given me a gift (oh, ho, hello ego!) if he didn't want me to use it? I've been one of those people who has never really been sure what I wanted to be when I grew up. Nurse, vet, paramedic, teacher... but the reality is, I'd always be a writer outside of my regular work.

So why not just call myself a writer and be done with it.

So I do.

I write because it's my calling.

No comments: