Saturday, January 27, 2007

Prompt

Courtesy of this week's Absolute Write Newsletter:
You have the chance to re-live one memory in your life. Which one do you choose
and why?

Now that is a good question!

When I was growing up we would visit my family (grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins) in small town Saskatchewan. As a child with divorced parents, life seemed a little topsy turvy, but life in the small freckle on the prairie was safe.

My brother and I would stay at either our cousins' house or our grandparent's house. At my cousins' house was a wonderful aunt who brushed her daughters' hair and put them in pigtails and who gave us squishy hugs. We would stay up late watching the Cosby Show and Diff'rent Strokes.

During the day we'd go up the hill to our grandparent's house. They had a pool and we would live on its edge. The eldest cousin and I were only 3 months apart and we'd race our way through books. Who could finish the Sweet Valley High books first. Or Trixie Belden.

This was my biggest worry: that I'd finish last in the book race.

There were no parents fighting, no traipsing between bedrooms, no mother's boyfriends. There was only diving to the bottom of the pool and seeing how many laps I could swim while holding my breath.

The little town was more village than town. Less than 200 people in a town that barely registers as a pin point on most maps. We had the run of the town, everyone knew who we were and waved to us as we rode our banana seat bikes through the dusty streets.

Life was sweet and good.

No comments: