Saturday, January 16, 2010

Falling behind!

I thought it would be a great idea to read 50 books this year. Mostly because if you times that number by three or four, you'd probably get the number of books I own that I have not read. It's a literal sin (ha! see what I did there?, I am smrt.).

But I am not a fast reader. I'm like the person who likes to eat slow and enjoy the pie. I intentionally slow down when I really love a book. That's what I did with Diana Gabaldon's newest book, Echo in the Bone. That was my first read of the year and she did not disappoint.

Second read was The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. It was quite good. A memoir about a tough childhood, huh? I realized after reading this that perhaps my mother gave it to me for Christmas so I would realize my childhood was really not all that bad, so suck it up, princess.

I usually try to alternate between fiction and non-fiction, so I'm reading More Proactive Sales Management by William Miller and it's quite good. My day-job as a sales manager will benefit ... my team will benefit... and I will benefit.

But it's already the 16th and I'm behind. I should be on book #3 already and there aren't enough hours in the day! I read a bit in the bathtub, a bit before bed, and bits and pieces here and there. I think I'll finish up a couple books I started in late 2009 and cheat a bit and call them 2010 books. First up will be Nurture Shock (awsome book, I'm half-way through) and Sales Coaching.

Do you set reading targets in the year?

No comments: