Wednesday, August 23, 2006

One part excitement; one part terror

In eight days I will pack up my family - all four of us - and head half way across the country to do some contract commentary for Canada's national news network, the CBC. The World Equestrian Games are happening over in Germany and I am going to be in Toronto commenting on the reining classes.

My bio and head shot are up HERE.

Just seeing that bio up there makes totally excited and totally terrified! The thing is... I know what I need to say, I'm confident that I can do the commentary.

But...

My husband is going to be watching both the kids by himself! A five year old kid and a two week old baby!

These are the sorts of things that only us "writing mothers" have to worry about.

Will I be able to pump enough milk?

Will she even take a bottle?

Will the crew get upset with my requests for nursing/pumping breaks? (I checked that this was possible before I accepted the job - but you never know, it could be a problem when it comes time to actually do it...)

Will my five year old son behave?

Will the baby go back to nursing just fine after being given a bottle?

I'm a bit of a worrier. I know - deep down - that worrying will do me no good. What will be, will be. But this doesn't stop me from thinking about it in the middle of the night when I'm up nursing the babe.

Last night I had the BEST sleep ever. I went to bed early... I had to force myself to go to bed early since I'm usually an evening writer... but I laid down with the baby at 8:30 pm and I did not get out of that bed until almost 8:00 am! I just nursed her laying down and she seemed to take to that. It took me a while to get the hang of it with my son, and it's taken a couple of nights to get the new one to latch on, but I did it.

I feel 100x better today than I did yesterday. It's amazing what a little sleep will do.

No comments: